My latest book, Smart Sales Manager, was born last month. Ta-da! It’s MY Royal Baby, and I’m introducing it to the world. Just like every newborn, it needs daily feeding, attention, and affection it can get to to survive and thrive in this big world.
Recently, one HUGE media outlet picked up coverage for the book, and it will be featured in the next few months. But wait: There’s more.
My Millennial daughter works for a fast-growing boutique PR firm in NYC. She is on fire with her outreach efforts and constantly getting huge hits for her clients. Hey, I said, what about me? Well, she took my target top 10 well-researched outlets and sent them each outreach emails letting them know about my new book, asking for a few minutes of their time — and, BTW, mentioned that she was my daughter and so proud of her mama. Her email tone was casual, fun, bold, and human.
A few weeks later, on a Sunday afternoon, she received a response and request for a podcast interview of me. When she responded to schedule a date and time, the program host found it “so cute” that my daughter was helping her mom with PR efforts that she asked to interview BOTH of us, dedicating half of the segment for the book and the other half on publicity and mother/daughter team.
6 lessons learned from this about getting people interested in what you have to say:
- Do your research and target the right outlets. If your contacts and content don’t align, you’re wasting your time. Do your research and make sure the entity you are contacting has a good reason to be interested in partnering with you.
- Tone matters. As long as you stay professional and appropriate, you can lighten up on your tone and great great results. Why? Because now you’re connecting human to human, not like you have something to sell. Be bold! Have fun!
- The third (or eleventh) time’s the charm. Oh, so you called once and they didn’t get back to you? Oh, twice? Stick with it. The multiple-attempt strategy really gets responses. Stay on it and don’t give up.
- Wake up to Sunday. Who’d a thunk it? But this is my favorite day for social media response.
- Ahhh, that’s so cute. It’s not all about business. The human interest angle to any project is what people are hungry for now.
- Employ your little helpers. It’s a collaborative world, and you really can’t do it all yourself. Get some help with your outreach – ask friends, family, acquaintances to spread the word. It’s all about who knows who.
- Be good to your sons or your daughters an they’ll be good to you!
The countdown has begun! Next week, on August 15th in San Francisco, my book launch is happening. If you would like to follow the countdown, check this out and if you would like to attend please email and you will be added to the guest list.
AMAZON BOOK REVIEWS
Thanks to Casey Corrigan from GoodData for writing the following review:
As an inside sales manager, I find very few books that speak directly and accurately to the needs and opportunities of my role. Smart Sales Manager is one of them, and the best I’ve seen. Fully relevant, fun to read, easy to understand yet substantive, and actionable. If you’re like me, as you read this book, you’ll find yourself nodding your head to questions and issues you come across on a regular basis as a sales manager, with Josiane’s insightful guidance to improve. Smart Sales Manager answers many questions held by those in our profession and is certain to provoke a common response: this is exactly the kind of sales management playbook I’ve been looking for!
Check out In the News Section and follow the Smart Sales Manager’s news coverage trajectory- thanks to everyone for all your support. Josiane will be a regular contributor for AllBusiness and ZoomInfo- look for fresh, relevant, fun content.
Josiane’s guest appearances:
August 21st- AA-ISP, Silicon Valley Chapter Meeting from 4:30-7:00PM @ Marketo. Register here.
September 9th- Book Passages, Ferry Building location from 6-7pm. Support your local book shop and hear Josiane speak about her book writing journey before, during and after publishing her second book.